Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

BOW #27: Greek Cross

Greek Cross looks like it might be complicated, but it's just a few shapes, easily constructed.  It's an interesting block for playing with alternate blocks in another design.

For a 12" finished block you'll need:

(4) 4-1/2" Half Square Triangle (HST) units, red/green (choose colors that  you like!)
(4) 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" green rectangles
(4) 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" gold rectangles
(1) 4-1/2" red square

If you need to review how to make HSTs, see BOW #1

Arrange and sew all the pieces as shown:










You can use just Greek Cross blocks, and you get something of a secondary pattern going on:















or you could alternate with another block, especially another in a nine-patch configuration, such as...well, a nine patch!  You have choices in colors for the nine patches, and you may have to try a few to find one that you like.    Here's one with just red and green:


















But that's a little too much red and green for me.  (And you'll do a better job of piecing than I've done with virtual piecing--Open Office and I are having "discussions" tonight...)  So, I'm going to add in a little gold, to coordinate with the Greek Cross block:


















And I like that better.  It seems more balanced, color-wise.  But I think I could create more of a secondary pattern if I switched positions of the red and green in the nine-patch:


















That's more pleasing and interesting--to MY eyes; you'll find what your eyes like best!

BlockFab is a great way to try out those secondary patterns with different alternating blocks (Monkey Wrench, perhaps?) and different colorways.  I think we might even persuade Mary Kay to try a couple, and share them.....

No comments:

Post a Comment